Clear All

I've heard Italians calves are big from walking in the mountains of Italy

Comment

Originally posted by KNorman View Post
      lol..

Comment

Originally posted by KNorman View Post

lulz

Comment

I feel strongly that high volume training serves to deplete your calves, not improve them. See John Meadow's analogy of "digging a really deep ditch to climb out of, when you really only need to dig a 3 foot ditch"... or Lee Haney's "stimulate, don't annihilate."

The best way to do calves, as Evan said, is heavy weight with peak contraction. A weight that you can control for slow "squeeze, hold, stretch, hold". I break it down into 4 parts that way to manage tempo.

High volume may work for some people, but I just think they're doing it wrong. Per Dorian Yates' mentality (some of the best calves ever), if you can do all that volume, imagine how much more intensity you can put into just a few high intensity sets. High volume will lead to foot and ankle problems in the long term, whereas high intensity will strengthen the muscles and connective tissues more effectively - even though it may seem like a Blood and Guts approach may cause more damage, I feel the opposite is true.

FYI - I do no more than 2 warmups and 6 working sets on calf day, split over two basic exercises. Seated calf for the soleus (most people have ZERO soleus development), and Standing or Leg Press for gastroc, with varying foot positions. And I train them every 5th or 6th day.

Stop training calves 3 days a week people. If they don't grow from 2, what makes you think they'll grow from more? Maybe if you're on the sauce, but not natural. If you don't listen to me, smack yourself and wear pants to cover your lack of calves 10 years from now.
          I want to be known as "calfzilla"

Comment

Originally posted by EvanCentopani View Post

Vittorio! Good to see you here!

A good suggestion with regard to calf training is to always be sure to get a PEAK CONTRACTION. It's so important to get all the way up on your toes for each rep...much more important than using heavy weight. Ideally though, we want to use heavy weight AND a pea contraction.
            Thanks for the reply! I will do that! Also it's posible my calves replay better the Seated calf instead of the standing? I feel much pump in seat and much more pain after.....Maybe cause I can contract it better stay seat? It's possible?

Comment

Working...
            X