Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to train calves

Hello to all!
    My name's Vittorio, i'm Italian, 36 years old, live in Italy. Follow Evan from his NPC comp, and really happy to be his friend in real life also! I'm glad to be here and hope this place grow more and fast! I have a traning question, I want to have some better parts in my body, tha calves, the chest and the Triceps. But begin from down: how we can train to have better results and grow more? The calves are the muscles are very difficult to train, because they are often very reluctant to grow! so? suggestions?

Well I am the owner/operator of the no calves club...so I my teachings are normally not taken seriously...LOL. High volume seems to be what kicks the crap out of mine the best. I like using seated leg presses for my calve raises or even a horizontal leg press if you're lucky to have one in your gym.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveAngus View Post
      Well I am the owner/operator of the no calves club...so I my teachings are normally not taken seriously...LOL. High volume seems to be what kicks the crap out of mine the best. I like using seated leg presses for my calve raises or even a horizontal leg press if you're lucky to have one in your gym.

Quadruple threat!

Comment

Originally posted by Culturismoitaliano View Post
        Hello to all!
        My name's Vittorio, i'm Italian, 36 years old, live in Italy. Follow Evan from his NPC comp, and really happy to be his friend in real life also! I'm glad to be here and hope this place grow more and fast! I have a traning question, I want to have some better parts in my body, tha calves, the chest and the Triceps. But begin from down: how we can train to have better results and grow more? The calves are the muscles are very difficult to train, because they are often very reluctant to grow! so? suggestions?

Vittorio! Good to see you here!

A good suggestion with regard to calf training is to always be sure to get a PEAK CONTRACTION. It's so important to get all the way up on your toes for each rep...much more important than using heavy weight. Ideally though, we want to use heavy weight AND a pea contraction.

Comment

Come up on your big toe, and consciously make an effort to keep your knees together and not "roll out" towards your pinky toes as you contract upwards. I suppose this may depend on what calf muscle, specifically, you're trying to target, but I find this to be a good general principle. As Evan said, get a good peak contraction, and come all the way down! I like to separate the motion into two parts - I either break the eccentric or concentric part into two motions, performing one half of the rep, briefly pausing, and continuing the second half of the rep, on either the positive or negative. And stop worrying about weight and emphasize form... every single time I go to the gym I have to lower the weight because whoever used the machine before me was using a ridiculous amount of weight. This doesn't mean train with light weights - it means train with heavy weights that still allow you to perform the exercise correctly. If you're a more visual learner, look up some of Ben Pakulski's videos on the subject... the man knows calves.

Oh, and have good genetic insertion points.

Sincerely,
          Someone who always gets asked what they do for calves

P.S. Hey Evan, super stoked about this forum, definitely going to come up with some questions for you

Comment

No better guy to ask about calf training than this guy^

Comment

Originally posted by EvanCentopani View Post

Quadruple threat!

That's a banana tempura orgy!!! The Huston 500 of banana orgies lol

Comment

I think being a fatass will make your calves grow! I've never seen a "big" or fat person with bad calves!

Comment

Being 6'5 and naturally skinny my calves have always been small. The one reality that I had to come to before they would grow is that training calves should hurt. Like hell. When I used to train them I would get a good pump and be done. They only started growing when I trained them to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. It usually takes focused reps to 50 or even 100 before the pain is too much. This has worked for me. They still aren't anything impressive, but they are way better than they used to be.

Comment

LOL Same here. Mine have come up but im not going to be mistaken for Matarazzo anytime soon! Drops sets work great. Calf raises on the leg press works damn good for me

Comment

When people sometimes ask me in the gym how to get big calves than I answer(joking) "you could try to kill yourself and than be born again with better genetics"
                      I now a amateur bodybuilder here been doing this stuff for 17 years. and he hits his calves alot, sometimes 3 times a week, sometimes 1 times a week he has tried it all and for a looong time, high intensity and than high weight and what ever and his calves are less than 16'.

Comment

Originally posted by KNorman View Post
                        I think being a fatass will make your calves grow! I've never seen a "big" or fat person with bad calves!
                        This is true^^^.

I never train calves.

Comment

Originally posted by KNorman View Post
                          You are so true. When we had Jay Cutler come into our gym, I asked him about growing calves and his response was "get to 225 - 250 lbs and they will grow...they wont have a choice" haha. I guess there is some truth to that. LOL

Comment

Ive done a triple big set or whatever the correct terms are for a while.

Standing calves x 15
                            Seated calves x 15
                            Donkey calves x 15

Repeat 4x.

I like it. They moo.

Comment

You are so true. When we had Jay Cutler come into our gym, I asked him about growing calves and his response was "get to 225 - 250 lbs and they will grow...they wont have a choice" haha. I guess there is some truth to that. LOL
                              Lolz, I feel like bodybuilding is a pretty simple sport! Too many people over complicate things

Comment

Working...
                              X