Anybody else with back problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else with back problems?

Anybody else out there got any back problems? I've got an irritated nerve in my lower back which has given me sciatica, which is a sharp pain that shoots down the sciatic nerve. The nerve runs all the way down to your toes. It used to be unbearable. Chiropractor can only do so much, I just have an odd case. Not a disc problem. Stretching my hamstrings daily has been a huge improvement, because tight hamstrings = tight lower back.

Yes I have a fracture in my L5-S1 vertebrae with Spondlythesis. Mine at first was really bad when I injured myself, I couldn't even sit. Yeah stretching is amazing I learned 5-6 exercises or stretches from PT that work really well. I found deadlifts aggravated it the most so I don't do them. How do you feel overall? Joint pain? Do you take pain killers?

Comment

Originally posted by KNorman View Post
      Yes I have a fracture in my L5-S1 vertebrae with Spondlythesis. Mine at first was really bad when I injured myself, I couldn't even sit. Yeah stretching is amazing I learned 5-6 exercises or stretches from PT that work really well. I found deadlifts aggravated it the most so I don't do them. How do you feel overall? Joint pain? Do you take pain killers?
      Ah man, sorry to hear that. I feel good. I don't squat or deadlift right now. I also don't take any medications. I have improved so much when it comes to pain, I can handle it. Occasionally there will be a day where I wake up and can feel the nerve is already irritated and it makes the day hell. I hang on an inversion table for a few minutes most mornings to stretch my spine out.

Comment

Originally posted by zachtyler View Post

Ah man, sorry to hear that. I feel good. I don't squat or deadlift right now. I also don't take any medications. I have improved so much when it comes to pain, I can handle it. Occasionally there will be a day where I wake up and can feel the nerve is already irritated and it makes the day hell. I hang on an inversion table for a few minutes most mornings to stretch my spine out.
        It's alright now it happend 3 years ago. Yeah same there is a day like every for 5 months where shit hurts to move! Yeah I hang on the dip handles and it decompresses. How did you get your injury?

Comment

Ive had some sciatica issues the past year and a half. Never understood how painful that is until it happened. Im VERY careful on back exercises. I don't deadlift off the floor anymore and avoid T-bar rows. I will do some bent rows but im VERY careful. Ive been doing them on the smith machine for some time now

Comment

You should consider seeking out a sports orientated chiro. They focus in ART etc really working the muscles around your SI joint etc. Every time i go see my doc she fixes me up and im back brand new within a day or and it holds. They find the muscle causi mg your pain and target that then adjust you. It holds too i only have to go see her once every few months and its rarely for the same issue

Comment

Originally posted by KNorman View Post
              It's alright now it happend 3 years ago. Yeah same there is a day like every for 5 months where shit hurts to move! Yeah I hang on the dip handles and it decompresses. How did you get your injury?
              To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I remember the pain starting when I was working tons of hours at some stupid frozen yogurt job (I was 18.) and we only had one employee at a time, so I ran the entire place. We get inventory which is just loads of yogurt and toppings. Imagine a cardboard box with 5-6 gallons of milk, only heavier since yogurt is more dense than liquid milk. The boxes were pretty heavy. I could've lifted wrong which irritated the nerve. But, I have no clue. I also weighed 290 lb, was very out of shape. Lots of stress on my back.

Comment

Originally posted by zachtyler View Post

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I remember the pain starting when I was working tons of hours at some stupid frozen yogurt job (I was 18.) and we only had one employee at a time, so I ran the entire place. We get inventory which is just loads of yogurt and toppings. Imagine a cardboard box with 5-6 gallons of milk, only heavier since yogurt is more dense than liquid milk. The boxes were pretty heavy. I could've lifted wrong which irritated the nerve. But, I have no clue. I also weighed 290 lb, was very out of shape. Lots of stress on my back.
                Yeah same, I wasn't exactly sure when I injured myself. I had a back strain prior to my injury when I moved, so when I think I did injure it my doctor just said it was a strain so I went like 9 months later and I was still having pain sometimes when I was sitting so I did an x ray to later find out I fractured my back when I was 15. The crazy thing is my orthopedist was saying that he's had people come in there with spondlythesis from caring a backpack too heavy! Crazy how something can fuck shit up so quick!

Comment

Does sciatica affect only one leg of both? because I have a pain that runs from my lower back down my left leg.

Comment

I've had some lower back/hip problems since 2010 that flares up every once in a while. I think part of it is a minor case of sciatica and my ilium's are lobsided (one is higher than the other). I think a lot of back problems stem from a weak core & lack of flexibility. When I went to a new chiropractor that caters more towards athletes, every time I went to see him he gave me a new exercise or stretch to do everyday. The fact that I'm a programmer doesn't help either, because sitting is horrible for you and I do it 10h+ a day.

OP I would suggest doing this too....
                    Last edited by b-neva; 07-24-2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reynolds706 View Post
                      Does sciatica affect only one leg of both? because I have a pain that runs from my lower back down my left leg.
                      Sounds like sciatica to me. It is possible to have both sides, but it is far more common for just one side.

Comment

Sorry to say, but the best solution in my strong opinion is lying and sleeping on very hard floors. Not the most pleasant sleep, but it straightens everything out and (I think) it allows the spinal discs to separate further. In my non-medical thought process, this would allow more fluids to get in-between the discs and enhance recovery... and it has done that for me on MANY occasions. It is the only thing that has ever worked to get my back right.
                        I want to be known as "calfzilla"

Comment

Do you all find it hinders some of your lifts?

Comment

Working...
                          X